Wednesday, September 9

Youth makes a poet in all of us

I was shuffling through my old files and I saw this poem I wrote years ago.  I think it's almost ten years old.  I remember why I wrote this piece.  God I was so young then and so unemployed. Wait. I'm unemployed right now.  Whatever.  You know what I mean (just say yes and we move on). Yes youth.  All that idealism and supple skin. I think youth makes a poet in all of us. And yeah, I was sorta angry at the time I wrote this poem.



Ire




I am standing on rooftops high

Sky scrapers magnificent of concrete and steel majestic




I gaze down below and I speak tongues

to cars and buses and subways and trains a running




I gaze yonder and I speak tongues

to ferries and ships and oil tankers a sailing




I gaze up above and I speak tongues

to jet liners and fighter jets and space shuttles and satellites soaring




My lips drooling

I shout at them from the pit of my stomach




My yelp resonates into airspace,

pulses through streets and alleys and highways and freeways




vibrates through the edifices

of concrete and steel majestic




I shout at you with spit flying,

drooling I shout in your face




I sing psalms barefooted

I recite my verses naked




I am becoming, transforming at this very moment

Into something never realized by your architects, designers and think tanks




I sing my psalms barefooted

I recite my verses naked




I curse you from my bowels

I curse the penis and the vagina that spawned you




I curse the breast that fed you

I curse the hand that rocked and cradled you




I curse them all yet bless them the same,

as I curse and bless you all the same




I shout at you spit flying, lips drooling

I shout in your face




You can smell my breath from where you stand

You can feel my anger from where you sleep




You can taste the hate from from your salad bowls

those garden salads, wilted and dead you eat




I am here

I persist




I persist as the sands of the deserts

and the sands of the oceans persist




I am here on your rooftops crying in tongues,

spit flying, lips drooling




I sing my psalms barefooted

I recite my verses naked




My yelp fades then resounds,resonates into airspace

pulsates into streets and highways adjoining




It vibrate through sky scrapers magnificent

of concrete and steel majestic




Fading then resounding

Dying then resurrecting




I sing my psalms and recite my verses

I shout at them all in your face




that you may at least even have the littlest comprehension

that I am talking to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment